Again, a quick summary of (more or less) noteworthy material that I’ve watched over the last couple of weeks.
- Premium Rush
- Entertaining little action flick; approved.
- A legal/lawyer drama that wasn’t on my list — and with good reason as I now know; skip it.
- Fast & Furious 6
- I never paid attention to the F&F series, up until part 5 garnered so much good will with the
critics (and very good money with the audience…). In “preparation”; for number five
I then watched 1-4: The first was one was OK; two, three and four were running mostly in the background
and I only glanced casually over to the TV.
Anyways, part 5 was indeed a step up and pretty good in an over-the-top kind of way. Part 6 was also good, but in my opinion not as good as it’s predecessor.
- Get The Gringo
- Although Mel Gibson isn’t A-list material in Hollywood any longer, he is still a good actor. Unfortunately, this movie runs out of steam after the first half. For a better dosis of Melness, I recommend Edge Of Darkness from a couple of years ago.
- Evil Dead (2013)
- It’s been a very long time since I saw the original two Evil Dead movies (while Army of Darkness is pretty often on TV here), and I can’t really remember whether I liked them or not. This remake however is alright, if you can stand all the blood and mutilation. I’m not a big fan of horror in general and this movie doesn’t bring anything new to the table in terms of story, but it’s entertaining (you know, in a bloody disgusting sense).
- American Mary
- Another horror movie, and another one that wasn’t really on my shortlist. But it got one of the Ginger Girls in the lead. Alas, that doesn’t help this trainwreck of low budget horror a bit. Good start, but the characters’ actions are rather incomprehensible and the plot jumps all over the place in last two thirds. Skip it.
- Deadfall/Cold Blood
- Yet another one of those low key thrillers with good word of mouth — and with Olivia Wilde, never a bad choice. But in total I found it a bit disappointing. Good enough for a late sunday evening view, not more.
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Now here’s a dramedy with a lot of hype and media buzz behind it; and guess what: rightfully so. Liked it, highly recommended.
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation
- Explosion, The Rock makes a witty one-liner, another explosion, Adrianne Palicki wears a red dress, fight scene, Bruce Willis briefly shows up, half at sleep, to collect another paycheck, final battle, the end. But my fault, what else did I expect…
- Jack Reacher
- Speaking of expectations: Didn’t have high hopes for this one, despite Tom Cruise being in it (another one of those actors whose private life seems to be… different, but who I really like to see on the screen), but it turned out to be a really well made action thriller with a good story.
- A Good day To Die Hard (Die Hard 5)
- Bruce Willis
brieflyshows up, half at sleep, to collect another paycheck and to rescuse his film son, fight scenes, car chase, final battle, the end. Totally generic Hollywood trash. Maybe, just maybe, Die Hard is one of those movies that should’ve been left alone after the first one — but that’s Hollywood for you.
- The Illusionist
- I’ve re-watched it recently again, still a good film; recommended.
- Homeland: Season 1
- Yes, I can see why this a success. A few episodes in the middle felt a bit tepid, but by the end I was hooked again. Bring on season two.
- Stromberg: Staffel 5
- [DE] Tja, hatte die Serie lange ignoriert, aber inzwischen doch zu schätzen kennengelernt. Schade, daß nach dieser Staffel nichts mehr kam, aber warte ich halt den Film ab.
Film & Television (25)
How To (41)
News & Announcements (22)
On Software (8)
Plans & Projects (8)
ActiveDirectory (1) Bluetooth (1) C++ (2) CMake (7) Code (4) DE (8) EN (108) Excel (1) Filezilla (1) Firefox (5) GeSHi (1) Git (1) Hugo (1) MTP (2) Mercurial (5) Notepad++ (2) Office (1) PowerShell (4) PyInstaller (1) Python (3) Qt (14) RandFill (15) Remi (2) SCons (1) SIMInfo (7) Script (2) Site (1) TinyTinyRSS (1) Tk (1) Tkinter (2) Visual-Studio (11) WPD (3) WPDLib (2) WPF (1) Win32 (2) Windows (23) WordPress (3) XAML (1)